"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
FAQ

Comments on What do I need to know about operating a camera to go beyond "point and shoot" photography?

What do I need to know about operating a camera to go beyond "point and shoot" photography?

+4
−0

I've been taking pictures with my phone and really enjoy it. I want to buy a more serious camera and get more into this hobby. These cameras seem to have a lot of buttons and dials. With my phone, I tap for focus and click to take a picture. What do I need to know to successfully operate a fancier camera?

(This post is intended to be the start of a sequence of questions for the FAQ. I hope for answers which give a broad overview and then link to specifics.)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (5 comments)
General comments
manassehkatz‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

Should this be moved to "FAQ"? Or is the idea to highlight it a bit via Q&A and once it builds up some serious answers, then move it to FAQ?

mattdm‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@manassehkatz My intention is to let it build up some good answers and then move it, yeah.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

This question seems like the poster case of "too broad". I realize you're trying to generate help material, but this might give the wrong idea of what kinds of questions are allowed. That makes me wonder how group-edited help can be created here. SE used to handle this with community wiki, which never really worked right. Even when people sortof cooperated, it suffered from the too many cooks in the kitchen problem. I don't know what the right answer is here.

mattdm‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@Olin My intention is for this to be one of several top-level nodes in the FAQ category, with answers primarily linking out to other posts drilling down to specifics.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

I keep seeing this question and think how I could list 100 different things. Then I realize this question can never be fully answered, and it feels too overwhelming to even start. Perhaps the reason you're not getting any answers is that others go thru a similar thought process.